Thursday, May 14, 2020

Five Reasons to Read Diamond




So I told you guys that I didn't release Misfortune on my own, and here's my partner in crime book today! Diamond by Kirsten Fichter. 

And now I'm going to tell you exactly why you need to read it. Now.

1. It's a delightfully twisted retelling as Seth is the one who gets trapped in a tower, not dearest Rapunzel -cough- Diamond. She's still the one with eighteen feet of hair, though, and an oppressive "mother" who only wants her out of revenge. 

2. Seth is an Alchemist! A successful-ish, one, too. Mostly because he isn't trying to make gold. He's also adorable as he tries to function despite a language barrier. He speaks the native tongue, but not well, so ... frustration for him, but amusement for us. Also, his sister is awesome.

3. Diamond is adorable. Kept away from people her whole life, she's so naive and precious. Someone give this girl a friend. A real friend, not a rabbit. (Not offense to rabbits, though.)

4. Non-magic retelling. Except for a small stretching of science with the alchemy, the book is 100% realistic, and I do love it when retellings go in that direction.

5. All of the references to the original tale. There's so many, and it's awesome - and even the Disney references aren't too obtuse, 

So, yes, go get it and read it RIGHT now. No hesitation, no questions asked. Go read. 
Click for purchase link.

May 14 
Kendra E. Ardnek – Five Reasons to Read Diamond 
Interviews: 
Live. Love. Read – Diamond 
Reviews: 
Tangled Up in Writing – Misfortune 
C.O. Bonham – Misfortune

And sorry that this post has taken so long to get up. Blogger changed its post set up format and it's taken me a while to find some features. 


2 comments:

  1. The more I learn about both these books, the more I want to read them! Rapunzel was always one of my favorite Faerie-tales, so I'm interested to see how other people retell the story. :-D

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Now that you've read my post, hast thou any opinions that thou wouldst like to share? I'd love to hear them!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...