Friday, November 10, 2017

Lookit my Goooooorgeous Writing

Okay, first all - I'm taking part in the Christian Indie Authors Black Friday Sale again this year - and we're looking for bloggers. Bloggers to help share the awesome news about this awesome sale. Bloggers who will each get FIVE awesome ebooks of their choice (well, we'll have a list, but they'll get to choose FROM that list).


So, you're probably thinking to yourself ... How can I get to be one of those awesome Bloggers?

WELL. 


Now, onto the regularly scheduled programming.


Beautiful Books, writing edition. Hosted by Cait and Skye.

I'm doing The Worth of a King for NaNo this year. Yes, feel free to go add it to your Goodreads bookshelves.


Overall, how is your mental state, and how is your novel going?
Well, I am still alive even though I've already hit 30,000 words. Finished part 2 last night. I have twenty-one chapters left to write. And maybe an epilogue. I'm still debating on whether or not I'll include the scene that bridges it to Rizkaland. 

What’s your first sentence (or paragraph)?
Of the book?
A Queen sat on a balcony in her castle, various instruments for measurement scattered about her, mixed in with the notes she was taking.
Of what I'm writing for NaNo?
Obsidia cried herself to sleep as they flew through the night.

Who’s your current favorite character in your novel?
At the moment, that prize goes to Nadilynn, Delaney's younger sister, who's the most reckless ray of sunshine you ever met. However, Laura's showing up in a few chapters ... and Laura's one of my favorite characters period, so...

What do you love about your novel so far?
Pretty much everything about it. Well, except the fact that Jack had to drop out of the cowrite ... but, hey, that means I get to write the whole thing My Way. But - twisty plot, dynamic characters, epic worldbuilding, this book has everything I love in it.
And we have a pre-evil Amber and a pre-mopey Granite. My dear babies.

Have you made any hilarious typos or other mistakes?
I found a really weird one two days ago ... but I forget where it was. I let you know when I get to the editing stage in January.

What is your favorite to write: beginning, middle, or end — and why?
You asked us this one last year. I'm not answering it again. I like writing the post-book snippets best. HOWABOUTTHAT.

What are your writing habits? Is there a specific snack you eat? Do you listen to music? What time of day do you write best? Feel free to show us a picture of your writing space!
Writing habits? Um, I've been writing for twelve years, and I've as yet to figure out what that word means, apart from my habit of making characters disappear and everyone forget them - WHICH DOESN'T HAPPEN IN THIS BOOK, I PROMISE. (it's just a recurring theme that has cropped up in three of my books so far.)

How private are you about your novel while you’re writing? Do you need a cheer squad or do you work alone (like, ahem, Batman)?
I definitely need a cheer squad. Here, have a snippet and cheer me on - 

True to Christa’s word, though, the next morning, the print shop door swung open and the two girls walked in. Christa was all smiles. Zidi was as reserved as always.
“Zidi admitted this morning that she’s not been by, not once since she came to live with you guys,” Christa announced, loudly, as she skirted around and inched up to Adrian’s side. “What are you working on today?”
“Important notices that Lord Havink has issued,” Adrian admitted, as he arranged the pieces of movable type in the frame. “Nothing half so exciting as a new book, but sometimes you have to take the less exciting jobs. Besides, it’s only one page, so it won’t take but a few hours, and most of that is waiting for the ink to dry.”
“What’s the notices for?” Christa further prompted. “Are any of them at all exciting?”
“Reminders to pay taxes, notes of three desperate criminals on the loose, and then some bits about the spring festival,” Adrian admitted. “Apparently, Lord Havink is going all out this year. Then again, I believe he does every year, so it’s nothing new.”
“Why are all of the letters and words backwards?”
Adrian almost jumped out of his skin as he realized that Zidi had snuck up and was standing on his other side. He held his dignity, however, and managed a small smile. “Because if they were the right way around, then the letters and words would all be backwards when we put them on the paper.”
“Oh.” She tilted her head to the side a moment as she stared at the type, then gave a small nod. “That does make sense. Woodcuts are always backwards when you print them, after all.”
“And the printing press is just a flexible woodcut,” Adrian agreed, giving her a small smile as he continued to slide the movable type into place.
“How do you know that you have the letters in the right place?” Zidi asked.
Adrian pointed to the hand-written letter that he’d laid out on the desk beside him. “Also, I can read backwards almost as well as forward, anymore.”

What keeps you writing even when it’s hard?
The knowledge that people are going to read what I write and love it. They can't love it if it says in my head, you know.

What are your top 3 pieces of writing advice?
Sit down. Pick up your pen. Make words. 

And am I the only one who's just a liiiiiiitle bit annoyed that they're just asking the same questions year after year for these things? It'd not be bad if the questions were mostly about the SPECIFIC BOOK that I'm writing, but half of these are about my WRITING PROCESS, and that doesn't change THAT much from year to year. 

Seriously, the editing questions need have some interesting ones among them, or I'm not participating. *humphsothere* The first year or two of Beautiful books, they had good questions ABOUT MY BOOK. Not generalities about my writing. Anywho.

8 comments:

  1. 30k words ALREADY?! Go you, Kendra! I've barely hit 10k xD.

    (by the way - if we sign up to do a book review for the 2017 Indie Christian Book Supporters, will we be provided with the/a book to review?)

    ~ Savannah | Scattered Scribblings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. (and would we also be able to chose which author we'd interview, or would that be chosen for us?)

      ~ Savannah | Scattered Scribblings

      Delete
    2. Ecopies will be provided, and we have a list of books and a list of authors for you to choose from (first come, first serve, though)

      Delete
  2. Yay, Kendra! You got this! I'm in awe that you're already so far in; I'm editing, which usually goes pretty fast, and I'm not half that far along.
    Also, why do you keep making characters disappear and other characters forget them? :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations, Kendra, on reaching 30k words! *Pompoms*

    The typos question reminded me of a funny happening recently. I discovered I'd made a bone-head typo in my own WIP, and....

    ME: Did I actually write "you're" with an apostrophe (instead of "your")?? Ugh, I've been on the Internet too long.
    Bro: Turn in your Grammar Nazi badge. Now.
    :-P

    Best wishes and good success to all you brave NaNoers! :-D
    ~R~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I found the typo I was remembering: "Okay, fair enough, I find it intimidating, too ... but you seem to have no problem with Obsidia, and you've always been a princess."

      The "you" in this situation is Christa, and she's most definitely NOT a princess. I'm not even sure what I was trying to say.

      Delete

Hi! Now that you've read my post, hast thou any opinions that thou wouldst like to share? I'd love to hear them!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...