Thursday, October 30, 2014

Their Story

Just ignore the February
Although there is the fact that Kingdom is coming out in February
I have fallen FAR too behind on this But I shall try to rectify the problem at once.

Anyways, since I'm no longer working, I'm going to tone down the prizes I had had planned for this. I don't remember what all I had promised, but a lot of it had to do with extra stuff you could do. So now, basically, answer the questions, and I'll enter you to win a physical copy of My Kingdom for a Quest which has the current projected release date of February 14th, because I love all of you.

And, don't forget, Sew, It's a Quest, as well as two of my short stories, are currently free on Kindle.

So, anyways, on to the actual chapter. This is, perhaps the closest chapter to its equivalent in No Longer a Dream, the version of Sew that that had been from Rosamond's POV. It's when the twins finally divulge their backstory, sharing most of the details that I had been tantalizing my readers with.

Although, I just pulled up the document for No Longer a Dream, and Locksley was described as one of the less important countries, as opposed to now, where it's one of the larger more important countries. Um ... plot changes?

The Fairy Godmother
Robin and Robert don't admit to many people that they have a Fairy Godmother, but since Rosamond has already blown away one of the soldiers, they apparently deem her safe.

And actually, she's not surprised to hear that they have a Fairy Godmother, even makes the claim that many princes and princesses do - which is odd, since Robin and Robert are the only two to have received gifts in a hundred years.

Notice, however, how Robin describes the gifts - one pink, one blue. Of course, the answer is obvious, one for her, and one for him (incidentally, their favorite colors are pink and blue - though dark shades of each color) ... but perhaps there's a double meaning?

The Mix-Up
Despite everyone expecting Robin to be great at sewing, and Robert a master swordsman (it would be the natural thing, considering their family's history) as it turned out, the opposite was the case. Robin was all thumbs when she picked up a needle, and while Robert did well enough while he had a wooden sword, once they gave him his first real sword, he suddenly didn't know what to do with it.

Poor kids! Everyone pushing them to be what they didn't want to be. To do things they just couldn't figure out. They were miserable - but then they made a strange discovery. Robert got the hang of embroidery his first try - and he wasn't even paying attention to what he had been doing.

So Robin jumped at the opportunity to take his sword lessons - something she had secretly wanted for quite some time. They convinced their nurse to swap their clothing, and went to each other's lessons. I'm not exactly sure how they got away with it, but I suppose it had mostly to do with the fact that no one expected it. I mean, what boy would willingly go to a sewing party of women? And a girl wielding a sword? Unheard of! (Despite the fact that there are women in the Locksley family tree who did so ... but that was 300 years before.)

Out of the Bag
Now, as Rosamond points out, their wearing each other's clothes to each other's lessons obviously didn't last forever. And, if thou wilt remember, back in chapter one, Robert had put a time on how long he had worn her skirts - six months. So how did people find out?

Well, quite simple, they had an unexpected sword fight. Neither of them expected the visit from this neighboring king to result in a sword fight, so they didn't bother to switch themselves. Unfortunately, this king happened to have a son who is also a prodigy with the sword, so an impromptu match is naturally suggested.

I can just imagine the desperate glances the twins exchange, the desperate excuses that they invent that don't work because the only effective one would be the truth - and they can't admit to the truth.

And Robert meets this young prince in the middle of the hall, sword held in trembling hand, still looking for a way out that doesn't exist. The duel is over almost before it began. Robert hadn't stood a chance.

While everyone's surprise turned to laughter, Robin, who had surely been on the edge of her seat, knowing that it ought to be her down there wielding the sword, jumps from her chair with her cry of "You can't do that to my brother!" She runs and picks up the cast away sword and turns the tables. Now, I have a suspicion that surprise had something to do with it, but it doesn't take long for her to lodge this rival prince's sword in the ceiling.

I don't give the name of this prince, but with Robert's comment about the sword "being there to this day," it does cause a body to wonder ...

Bag Cat
And here we have our first mention of the Bag Cat. Seems Rosamond takes that saying a bit literally, another unusual thing about this girl. But is it as crazy as Robin brushes it off as being, or maybe there's more to it ...

Fairy Godmothers
And then, when Robin can't seem to remember the name of their Fairy Godmother (seriously, girl, it's about the only thing you have to go on for finding this fairy, and you forget it? how serious are you about finding her anyways?) Rosamond guesses it after only hearing the first syllable. She confesses that she would have thought it was a different fairy - Yifinna - a fairy who had mixed up some friends of hers, a Samson and Shira.

Interesting.

And it's a good thing that they got Fallona and not Yifinna, since apparently Yifinna can't undo her gifts, while Fallona can.

And then she lets slip something else - Fallona is her Fairy Godmother too! Her gift was Beauty of the Rarest Kind. (Though she admits that she's only average - Robert! Tell her it's not true, that she's the most beautiful creature you've ever laid eyes on! ... Uh ... yeah, I aggressively ship my own characters. It can be embarrassing)

"No one can know about the fairies, they can only know of the fairies what the fairies wish them to know"
And then ... Oh, Kendra ... I thought this line so clever back when I was fifteen ... but here, nearly for years later, I want to go tell myself otherwise ... though I don't think I would have listened. I can be terribly stubborn when it comes to the lines I think are clever. But ... oh, well. I was trying to create the impression of mystery and all that, but it did lead into a comment on Rosamond's speech, so ... I guess it worked?

And then it led to a line that came from No Longer a Dream. Robin's remark on molly-coddled princesses. I actually have a pretty firm memory of writing this line in that original version of the story ... I was in a Laundromat (our washer was out of order at the time), writing on my old win97 laptop that is now little more than a very heavy paperweight. Ah, good memories.

Back at the Inn
Horses retrieved, story told, confusion spread, we're finally back all the inn where all the trouble began. Since apparently there's a horse more than had been lost, and Robin and Robert now have a new traveling companion who needs a horse, they get the extra. As well as some recovered money, which I'm sure won't hurt.

While they're discussing these details and getting things sorted out, they hear guitar music - and the man who owns the guitar is in the stables. Upon investigation, it proves to be Rosamond, who once she realizes she has an audience, immediately stops playing, clearly uncomfortable being watched. And despite the fact that the owner of the guitar says she's better than he is, she admits to having never even seen the instrument before in her life.

Second Fairy Godmother
Riding away from the inn, the adventure over, Robert remarks that her immediate skill with the guitar reminds him of his own with the needle - but her gift was beauty. She admits that she actually has a second Fairy Godmother - Yifinna this time. The one who messes gifts up, apparently. She doesn't seem to care much for either of her gifts, however.

And then she turns the conversation to a few of her friends - more friends who had been mixed up by the fairy godmother. We find out what Samson and Shira were gifted with - he's a soprano singer and she's incredibly strong. And then we learn about Solomon, with the mirth of youth, and Serendipity, with the wisdom - and hair - of the gray haired.

No quotes this time, couldn't find any that particularly stood out when taken out of of context. 

Questions:
1. What did (or do) you think of Rosamond and her secrets at this point?
2. Do you ship your characters as aggressively as I do? (Please tell me I'm not the only one!)
3. What did you think of Robert and Robin's back story?

4 comments:

  1. I think the fairy line is a good one... It does convey a sense of mystery around the fairies.

    In answer to #2: ...Hahaha. Ha. I would probably ship my own characters if I could get over the embarrassment of writing romantic relationships. I don't know what my problem is. It just comes out way too mushy and just BLEH! There were, I think, two kisses in After the Twelfth Night's first version (one of which was between a married couple) and I had to take them out because even though I only said "And they kissed" it was still made my cheeks go red. Maybe I'll be able to write relationships better once I've actually been in one.
    There is one couple in the fantasy story I'm writing (for NaNo), however, that are just too cute to be sappy. At least that's how I feel now. It is entirely too possible that the feeling will change by the time I start to rewrite. Which is too bad, because they are my favorite couple—out of all the couples I've written—ever. Maybe I should put them on a boat and let their ship sail far, far away so I don't have to worry about them anymore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not saying it was a bad line, it's just rather awkward and I wouldn't write it like that were I to go back and redo it.

      Fun Fact: There used to be a kiss between Robert and Rosamond in the original draft of SEW, but it got cut in the editing process. So I do understand awkwardness. But it doesn't keep me from shipping my characters hard. I'm not sure why.

      Delete
    2. Take heart, girls, dear; you're not the only writers who are more than a little squeamish about putting "maple syrup"* in your writing. I can think up perfectly wonderful romantic scenes (aren't I humble? :-P) between my favorite couples, in my head...but the thought of reading them aloud to my family--even writing the word "kissing"--just makes me cringe! :-P Must be an epidemic among young(ish) single authors....

      All that to say, I feel your pain. *Sympathetic half-smile*
      ~"Tom Wild Rose"~

      * Maple Syrup = A collective term for anything romantic or "mushy."
      Source: The slang term "sap."
      ~Tom's Dictionary of Whacked-out Terms and Old Family Sayings

      Delete
    3. Ain't that the truth! I was reading some of the more romantic scenes between Robin and Eric in Kingdom aloud to my mom while waiting for NaNo, and there weren't even any kisses (Another fun fact: I had three or four in the first draft I wrote for NaNo two years ago, but when I rewrote it, they didn't happen) but my voice kept going out of character whenever they made their declarations of love. And they weren't even all that mushy!

      Delete

Hi! Now that you've read my post, hast thou any opinions that thou wouldst like to share? I'd love to hear them!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...