Monday, January 5, 2015

Camelot! - The Musical


Look! I made a button for you guys to put on your sidebars (if you'd be so kind). Link it to the sign-up page.

A couple years ago, we studied King Arthur for school, and naturally my mom had my sister and I watched and read pretty much everything we could find about him. The musical "Camelot" was naturally one of them.


I couldn't find the song being sung in the movie I watched, but here's one of the actor just singing it. I think.

I really love most of the songs in this musical. There are a few that I'm a bit meh on (and hence can't remember), but for the most part, the songs are fun, especially the ones at the beginning.


Again, not the movie I watched, but this is one of my favorite songs.

I love how it begins, with both Arthur and Guinevere trying to get out of the marriage, running into each other, he realizing who she is, her trying to convince him to run away with her, him not wanting to tell her who she is. It's just so much fun.

It focuses on the second half of Arthur's life, after Merlin has left him. There are a few glimpses of Merlin at the end, in memories, if I remember right, but this mostly focuses on the triangle between Arthur, Guinevere, and Lancelot.

I don't care so much for the second half of the movie, once Lancelot comes onto the scene. Look, I understand that it follows the legend and all that, but I'm going to let you guys in on a secret - I hate that chapter of Arthurian legend. I like it when movies and books tweak and change things so that it's a non-issue, or Guinevere chooses Arthur before it's too late. I do like the reprise to Camelot.



As a musical, it's beautiful.


And I realize that I've managed to not include a single song directly from the version I watched, ah, well. Julie Andrew's great, too.

2 comments:

  1. For some reason the second half of musicals is always way "darker" than the first half. I've never liked the Arthur-Guinevere-Lancelot love triangle either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, now that you mention it, unless it's Disney, YES!!

      *Thinks of INTO THE WOODS, which I watched last summer* Part one, everyone lives happily ever after. Part two, Everyone you love dies, to quote the pinterest pin I see going around at least once a week.

      Delete

Hi! Now that you've read my post, hast thou any opinions that thou wouldst like to share? I'd love to hear them!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...