Monday, May 23, 2016

Paper Crowns - Interview with Miriam

Hello readers! I'm here today with an interview with an author I've not had on my blog before - Miriam Neal. Nor have I read any of her books yet, though I'm terribly interested in this book she just came out with. It's portal fantasy, and I love me some portal fantasy. Also, the book's pinterest board is gorgeous.

 Ginger has lived in seclusion, with only her aunt Malgarel and her blue cat, Halcyon, to keep her company. Her sheltered, idyllic life is turned upside-down when her home is attacked by messengers from the world of fae. Accompanied by Halcyon (who may or may not be more than just a cat), an irascible wysling named Azrael, and a loyal fire elemental named Salazar, Ginger ventures into the world of fae to bring a ruthless Queen to justice.

1. Hello and welcome to Knitted By God's Plan. Can you tell my readers a bit about yourself? 
Hey, Kendra, and thank you for having me over! Well, I was raised a nerd. I cut my literary teeth on Marvel comics, myths, C. S. Lewis, and Tolkien. I wouldn't trade anything for this upbringing.

2. Can you tell us a bit about your new release, Paper Crowns, and why my readers need to drop everything and rush over and buy a copy? 
I'd first suggest not dropping anything breakable. Set it down carefully and then rush over and buy a copy. Why? Because telepathic blue cats! And irritable wyslings! And origami that comes to life!

3. What was your inspiration for this story? 
My inspiration for this novel came mainly from several books I read and didn't like (usually negative story experiences give me the most positive novel ideas, for whatever reason) and Adam Young's 'Sky Sailing' album.


4. Can you choose your three favorite pins from the book's pinterest board? I can, actually. The first is Ginny, the second is Hal, and the third is Azrael (in gif form, as a bonus)!


Via Pinterest
Via Pinterest
Via Pinterest
5. How 'bout a favorite character from the book? Can you choose one of those? 
My favorite character is Azrael - rather obviously, since I wrote him his own sequel. I feel he has the most obvious personality - although if you could see into Hal's brain, it would be equally entertaining.

6. Would you call yourself a plotter or a panster? Or are you some weird in-between like I am? 
I'm somewhere in-between. I have to plot a certain amount before I can start - I need to set the pins in place so I have the vague shape of whatever I'm about to make. The spaces between those plot points, however, is very fluid and malleable. I usually like to know where I'm going two chapters in advance, as well as have a general idea for the ending.

7. I've been told you're an INFP. How would you say this affects your writing and writing style? 
This is an interesting question, and one I haven't been asked before. There are a many pros to being an INFP - many writers are. It's conducive, somehow. We're intuitive, emotional, observant, and don't tend to think inside boxes. It gets tricky, though, because the temptation to write completely based on how I feel at the time is always present. Letting yourself be tugged around by your feelings at any given moment is a serious blow to productivity.

8. What do you want people to take home from reading Paper Crowns
I want them to take home some warm, fuzzy feelings and a desire to read the novel again.

9. What great writing goals to you intend to tackle next?
I have two novels to edit and revise (one of which is the sequel to Paper Crowns) and I'm currently about 70,000 words in to a futuristic samurai Robin Hood retelling. After that I have plans for half a dozen more novels, but I'm waiting on those.


10. Who are some of the great authors who have influenced your writing? 
Tolkien and Lewis, Gaiman and Wynne-Jones, Funke and McKillip are my literary heroes. Guillermo del Toro may be a movie director, but he also remains constant inspiration. 



Mirriam Neal is a twenty-two-year-old Northwestern hipster living in Atlanta. She writes hard-to-describe books in hard-to-describe genres, and illustrates things whenever she finds the time. She aspires to live as faithfully and creatively as she can and she hopes you do, too.

You can find her at any of these places:

blog ~ email ~ Goodreads ~ publisher's page ~ Amazon ~ Barnes & Noble

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi! Now that you've read my post, hast thou any opinions that thou wouldst like to share? I'd love to hear them!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...