Tuesday, July 18, 2017

My Beautiful Writing Process

Hello! Just popping in to link up with Cait and Skye's Beautiful People this month.

And, for those of you wondering why I've suddenly become so posty this month after a couple months of near-silence ... it's cause I'm a week from my blogoversary and (now) only three posts away from my 1000th post, and I'm trying VERY hard to make it so I can have my 1000th post ON my blogoversary. If this happens, there will be a giveaway. Of a sort. Feel free to suggest prizes, because I'm not sure yet what I want to giveaway.


  1. How do you decide which project to work on?
    It's frequently whim and whichever project is talking to me at a given moment ... but as a published author, I'll admit that "whatever needs to be published next" is also a huge influence on my decision.
  2. How long does it usually take you to finish a project?
    It depends on the project's length, my inspiration, and how distracted I might be. So anywhere from a few months to eleven years.
  3. Do you have any routines to put you in the writing mood?
    Um, I don't think so. It either happens or I make it happen.
  4. What time of day do you write best?
    Typically night. I'll write anytime or anywhere, though. Just put a pencil or other writing implement in my hand.
  5. Are there any authors you think you have a similar style to?
    I have no idea. I just ran a number of my first chapters of my currents WIP's through the "I Write Like" website, though, and consistently got Agatha Christie. And The two times I didn't, it was Anne Rice. So ... draw what you will. (Is this a sign that my writing style is solidifying? Because the last time I did a first chapter spin with that site, I never got the same author twice.)
  6. Why did you start writing, and why do you keep writing?
    I started writing because it's the Socially Acceptable Thing To Do when you have stories in your head. And I keep writing for much the same reason. It's just now I have a reputation to keep up. You know, being published and all.

  7. What’s the hardest thing you’ve written?
    I'm ... actually drawing a bit of a blank on this one. I have this thing where I delete all recollection of painful writing experiences, much like any woman after they give birth. It was probably also a mundane low-emotion scene because those are torture to write.

  8. Is there a project you want to tackle someday but you don’t feel ready yet?I have hundreds of these. Yeah, someday I shall write my historical fantasy retelling of the Sleeping Beauty. The one where Henry II is the prince. (I think it's Henry II. The dad of Richard the Lionheart and Prince John, at any rate. He had a mistress named Rosamond.)
  9. What writing goals did you make for 2017 and how are they going?
    Going back to my first post of the year, I find:
    "Mostly Worth and LaM, as I need to finish both this books this year. I'd been hoping to be able to publish Worth this year, but it's not going to happen. Now I'm hoping for early next year. LaM is going to need two drafts (although it's turning out to not be as messy as I'd wanted it to be, so maybe not ...), and I'm hoping for a September/October publication following Worth. (Worth will come first, any way we slice it.)

    I also plan to finish three short stories and get them published - "Poison Kiss," "Gift Exchange," and "Saffron's Even Bigger Plan."

    Oh, and I have two new co-author plans on my plate, both involving Laura. No details on either, as we speak, but stay tuned."

    So far, it looks like I will finish Worth, but LaM isn't going to happen. Worth will likely be my fall release of 2018. One of the three short stories will be released next month, but the other two might still not get written. I have instead decided to focus on polishing all of my old books, and I'll be releasing revisions of Take and Kingdom instead. 
  10. Describe your writing process in 3 words or a gif!

1 comment:

  1. I am heartened to learn that there is a published author out there that can take up to eleven years to finish a project. There is hope for me!
    Your Sleeping Beauty retelling sounds interesting. I love it when someone takes a classic fairy tale and heaps complexity and context upon it. Good luck with it when you decide you are ready to tackle it. It sounds like quite the undertaking.

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Now that you've read my post, hast thou any opinions that thou wouldst like to share? I'd love to hear them!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...