Saturday, April 29, 2017

The Writing Tag

It's been FAR too long since I last did a proper tag (I mean, suuuuure I did the snippet tag back on Christmas, but that was MONTHS ago), so I've stolen this one from Mirriam and Arielle, and let's see how it goes.


1. WHAT GENRES, STYLES, AND TOPICS DO YOU WRITE ABOUT?

Genres?
Anything high concept, but mostly fantasy. So far, all of my published works have been fantasy, from Fairy Tale mashups, to imaginative allegories, to epic portal fantasy. I do have a Superhero Dystopia in my drafts (need to finish that), and I've been plotting a Sci-Fi retelling of Peter Pan in my sister's Mikada series. 

Styles? 
Typically, Multiple Deep Third, past tense. I like to crack down deep into a person's head, but I don't like to stay in ONE head. I've done first person, when it makes sense for the book.

Topics?
Let's see ... the big ones:
Trusting in God and His Plan.
Accepting the talents that God gave you.
Commitment.
TRUE love. (As opposed to "True" love.)
Interpersonal relationships
Sibling relationships.
TWINS.


2. HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN WRITING?

I've been 'writing' ever since I figured out that was what you were SUPPOSED to do with your pencils (rather than using them as puppets and acting out the stories with them). I wasn't serious until I was ten or so, though, and decided to write a 'better' Narnia movie.


3. WHY DO YOU WRITE?

Because it's the most socially acceptable thing to do with the stories in my head. It's frowned upon to kidnap people and make them act out my stories on pain of death.


4. WHEN IS THE BEST TIME TO WRITE?

I do about 90% after midnight because I have a BAD habit of procrastination. BAD.


5. PARTS OF WRITING YOU LOVE VS PARTS YOU HATE?

Love: Brainstorming, plotting, acting scenes out in advance, rewriting, editing. 

Hate: FIRST DRAFTS. I mean, they can be fun ... but on the whole? Torture. I mean, having to to actually turn the movie in my head into words? NOT FUN. *Not to mention the fact that I'm a perfectionist, and even though I KNOW I'm going to rewrite the book, I still have to get everything perfect. Yeah.


6. HOW DO YOU OVERCOME WRITERS BLOCK?

It depends on how pressed I am to finish the book. If my schedule is lax, then I usually take Writer's Block as my cue to step away from the story for a bit. If it's NaNo ... well, then I'll sit myself down and force myself through the scene. It may not be pretty, but the important part is to get something written.


7. ARE YOU WORKING ON SOMETHING AT THE MOMENT?

I am writing book 3.5 of my Bookania Quests for Camp NaNo. I hit 11,000 of my goal of 15,000 last night. It's been taking a slightly different direction than I'd intended, and I'm now expecting closer to 20,000 from the story, to take into consideration this new plot.

SNIPPET!!

“Just what do you think that you’re doing, Pearis?”
Pearis turned to see Robin standing behind her. She arched an eyebrow, snapping the fan shut as she examined her cousin’s wife. “Just what do you think that you’re wearing?”
Honestly, Robin had always been utterly unfashionable when it came to her apparel, but she usually bothered to look nice at balls. At least she wasn’t wearing the leather that she usually did, but a princess shouldn’t wear pants to a ball. Princesses shouldn’t wear pants, period, but that had been a lost battle with Robin.
“My mother’s no longer in charge of my wardrobe,” said Robin, folding her arms over her chest. “Don’t worry, I’ll have a dress at the wedding, as it’s a formal event.”
“And this isn’t?”
Robin gave her head a toss. “That’s why I’m wearing this new outfit that my brother brought me when he arrived this week,” she answered. “Besides, I don’t intend to dance, nor am I here to ensnare the attention of a prince – as you seem determined to do.”
Pearis narrowed her eyes. “Just what does Eric see in you?”
She tried very hard to not notice the exquisite embroidery on Robin’s sleeves and pant legs. The outfit did look very good on her, could even be considered stylish if one squinted hard. If they didn’t notice that she was wearing pants. Bodice and pants were both rich pink, just a few shades softer than her wedding dress had been, with delicate white stitching. The pants were flared at the knee, cut open to reveal pleated white fabric on the sides of her legs. The sword on her belt only served to tie the outfit together.
But, no, Pearis was determined to not notice this. To not notice the confidence, the air that seemed to judge everyone else for their skirts.
“Something, clearly,” Robin returned. “Given that he married me, that’s good enough for me. Now, just what are you doing with that fan?”
“It’s a warm evening,” Pearis pointed out, opening the fan again and giving it a few flutters. She wasn’t about to stand there and explain herself to Robin.
“Don’t fool with me,” said Robin, shaking her head. “I may not be a master of the art myself, but I know that a fan is for flirting." 

I'm also working on writing Love and Memory and Worth of a King. T


8. WRITING GOALS THIS YEAR?

I actually wrote these down the other week. Hopefully, I'll get most of these done.


4 comments:

  1. Looks like you have some awesome goals! I can't wait to watch you crush them! (And GIMP is super fun. There are some awesome tutorials on YouTube.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. "I know that a fan is for flirting." I love that line. Also, your answer to why you write. xD

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh that's a lot of writing goals. GOOD LUCK!!🎉🎉 And I also adore writing in 3rd person, but like really deep so it's very much in their head, but I find it easier to write than 1st. Eeep! I love most of the things on your love-writing list, except for editing. 😂 I'm just so indecisive when it comes to editing ahhhhh. Such struggles.😂

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love editing too! Like, seriously, it's just so fun. :) I took part in this tag, too. It seems to be going around everywhere. https://hannahgaudetteauthor.wordpress.com/2017/05/09/the-writers-tag-questions-for-a-writer/

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Now that you've read my post, hast thou any opinions that thou wouldst like to share? I'd love to hear them!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...